Why doesn't Giants just make A definitive version of farming simulator.

Gugernoot215

Why doesn't Giants just make A definitive version of farming simulator.

Post by Gugernoot215 »

Just why not? the graphics seem to be good enough and really the graphics quality ceiling is the model and texture quality.
We are already buying the game again for the season pass (I am one of those *censored*) so why not just make the game once and then constantly update it. I'm thinking use the update/dlc system that space engineers uses where you get new features in the update and matching cosmetic pieces for dlc.

I think that could work out to add a feature to the game and the dlc is more equipment for that feature.
Example the Volvo dlce would have the scripts for tilting processor heads with a single button and winches and then the dlc would have the rest of the scripts and all of the equipment for the scripts etc.

And I wouldn't mind paying for the game every year for 4 features/more brands If I didn't need to buy the game again for a revision of the game engine.
Running on A refurbished 1.2k hp laptop which the graphics chip likes to crash (when playing fs22).
Image server (upload your images here): https://image.giants-software.com/
Gugernoot215

Re: Why doesn't Giants just make A definitive version of farming simulator.

Post by Gugernoot215 »

Why is su_cker censored is the forum also 3+?
Running on A refurbished 1.2k hp laptop which the graphics chip likes to crash (when playing fs22).
Mary Of Bethany

Post by Mary Of Bethany »

Gugernoot215 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:04 pm Why is su_cker censored is the forum also 3+?
They don't condone the use of straws.
Mary Of Bethany

Gugernoot215 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:02 pm Just why not? the graphics seem to be good enough and really the graphics quality ceiling is the model and texture quality.
We are already buying the game again for the season pass (I am one of those *censored*) so why not just make the game once and then constantly update it. I'm thinking use the update/dlc system that space engineers uses where you get new features in the update and matching cosmetic pieces for dlc.

I think that could work out to add a feature to the game and the dlc is more equipment for that feature.
Example the Volvo dlce would have the scripts for tilting processor heads with a single button and winches and then the dlc would have the rest of the scripts and all of the equipment for the scripts etc.

And I wouldn't mind paying for the game every year for 4 features/more brands If I didn't need to buy the game again for a revision of the game engine.
They make more money re-selling the same game to the same people over and over than they would selling it once and providing cheaper updates.
Mesocyclone

Post by Mesocyclone »

Because they need income to be able to pay the modders monthly for the amount of downloads they get?

I don't know if you know, but modders are getting payed by their rating and downloads. It's a reward system.
A rating below 4 means the modder gets 50% less in payments from Giants.

So they need to keep generating income by DLC's ,new game versions, season pass etc.

And then there is also salary for the people who test mods daily to provide us with FREE mods daily.
Gugernoot215

Post by Gugernoot215 »

Mary Of Bethany wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:09 pm
Gugernoot215 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:02 pm Just why not? the graphics seem to be good enough and really the graphics quality ceiling is the model and texture quality.

They make more money re-selling the same game to the same people over and over than they would selling it once and providing cheaper updates.
Realy even if they were still do a yearly $80 season pass?
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Mesocyclone wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:11 pm to pay the modders monthly for the amount of downloads they get?
what was their reason before FS17? Modhub and its rewards is fairly young compared to the overall franchise.

they also need revenue for brand licenses and such. Some brands seem to waiver from version to version.
Mesocyclone

Post by Mesocyclone »

JDMFarms wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:51 pm what was their reason before FS17? Modhub and its rewards is fairly young compared to the overall franchise.
I don't know, I'm not familiar that long with Giants.

JDMFarms wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:51 pm they also need revenue for brand licenses and such. Some brands seem to waiver from version to version.
True that!
Bobble2020

Post by Bobble2020 »

Other thing is eventually the game would just grind to a halt if they keep selling dlcs to add to it as a lot of people would just keep adding and adding without removing any no longer used equipment and then throwing a tantrum when it stopped working
Gugernoot215

Post by Gugernoot215 »

Forgot we're talking about the giant's engine here.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Because they need income to be able to pay the modders monthly for the amount of downloads they get?

I don't know if you know, but modders are getting payed by their rating and downloads. It's a reward system.
A rating below 4 means the modder gets 50% less in payments from Giants.
I presume you are being a bit sarcastic here or don't actually know how much modders get payed per download
Mary Of Bethany

Gugernoot215 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:14 pm
Mary Of Bethany wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:09 pm

Realy even if they were still do a yearly $80 season pass?
There's only so much DLC they can sell, and especially with all the free mods.
It's much easier and more profitable to put a new version number on the end, and then sell it for full price, then sell the season pass, then sell the platinum. Rinse and repeat.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Why are they doing it?
Simple answer: Because they can. There will always be players willing to buy the new version.

More complicated answer:
There will never be "good enough graphics" for many players. Assume Giants would have decided to pick FS17 as definitive version. Would be a decent decision as many players loved it for the realistic sounds, graphics, jada jada.
Do you still want to play FS 17 today even if it would have all the essential FS19 and FS22 features? There would be no way you could change the performance demand of such a game. Adding features to the basegame that would require more performance (better hardware) would be impossible without getting into a large shitstorm because the game is not running well anymore. The other way around you would be limited in the possibility of adding more complex features.
Do you want to be forced to upgrade your PC or buy a new console because there was a new patch introducing decent features you really like, but your current PC can't handle it?

At some point you need to make a clean cut and start over with a new version to have the game evolving in total.

Everyone has his own opinion about which FS version looks best. But at some point, graphics are just outdated. Is FS22 at a stage where graphics are decent enough? Maybe, maybe not. Will you still like the FS22 graphics in 3 years?

I have played about 800hrs in FS22 now. And I still have big fun playing it, even without a single DLC bought. I call this a pretty decent deal.
There are games that I payed the same price for and only entertained me for about 20hrs each because they were lacking to keep me entertained/motivated.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
Mary Of Bethany

Eische wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:56 pm Why are they doing it?
Simple answer: Because they can. There will always be players willing to buy the new version.

More complicated answer:
There will never be "good enough graphics" for many players. Assume Giants would have decided to pick FS17 as definitive version. Would be a decent decision as many players loved it for the realistic sounds, graphics, jada jada.
Do you still want to play FS 17 today even if it would have all the essential FS19 and FS22 features? There would be no way you could change the performance demand of such a game. Adding features to the basegame that would require more performance (better hardware) would be impossible without getting into a large shitstorm because the game is not running well anymore. The other way around you would be limited in the possibility of adding more complex features.
Do you want to be forced to upgrade your PC or buy a new console because there was a new patch introducing decent features you really like, but your current PC can't handle it?

At some point you need to make a clean cut and start over with a new version to have the game evolving in total.

Everyone has his own opinion about which FS version looks best. But at some point, graphics are just outdated. Is FS22 at a stage where graphics are decent enough? Maybe, maybe not. Will you still like the FS22 graphics in 3 years?

I have played about 800hrs in FS22 now. And I still have big fun playing it, even without a single DLC bought. I call this a pretty decent deal.
There are games that I payed the same price for and only entertained me for about 20hrs each because they were lacking to keep me entertained/motivated.
They don't make a clean cut and start over with a new version. The new version is a copy of the previous version, with new features added. We know this because of the bugs that get carried over. They make some tweaks here and there, and call it a new game. Most game developers do it I think.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Mary Of Bethany wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:58 am
They don't make a clean cut and start over with a new version. The new version is a copy of the previous version, with new features added. We know this because of the bugs that get carried over. They make some tweaks here and there, and call it a new game. Most game developers do it I think.
That's not what I meant!

What I meant was:
This is the new version with many new gameplay features added to the basegame and improved graphics. That's why we need to increase hardware requirements and have removed support of old gen consoles.

This is only possible with a designated new game version as I explained in my previous post.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker