Requesting for Official answer on how to use power harrow + seeder

Altrac00

Requesting for Official answer on how to use power harrow + seeder

Post by Altrac00 »

Hi.

As your clients, because we purchase something to you, I request an official answer to:

How to use power harrow + seeder? Like the Amazone kg 3001 + centaya 3000

Because together just sow, on a pre-cultivated field & separated only cultivate, it seems illogical. The other seeders "labeled" as direct seeders have a disk harrow (vs a power harrow).

Why they can not direct seeding? Is that it intention in real life?

On youtube nobody use those devices because everybody think is a bug.

On reddit, steam and other forums there are always complaints that there is no satisfactory answer to this uncertainty. I reported it as a bug and they only closed my report with the word "intended"

That is why we need you to explain me and your player base the use cases for those devices and why.

Thank you.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/yndbrfq/photo-2023-08-16-09-42-34.jpg[/img]

Photo from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iacSALZq_Y0
eric21

Re: Requesting for Official answer on how to use power harrow + seeder

Post by eric21 »

Normally they are used after ploughing to make a seedbed. Though I think you can use them after cultivation.
Altrac00

Post by Altrac00 »

Yes, all seeders and planters work on plowed fields.

why they have a power harrow and it works weird is what torments me.
STL

Post by STL »

In real life you can't just use any seeder, or planter on a plowed field. You would work the field more to smooth it before planting. You'd disc, cultivate, power harrow etc. first. In order to smooth the soil for seeding, or planting.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

I believe Op is trying to say that it can direct drill in real life but can’t in the game. Also yes they don’t answer questions very well and if you press the issue they swing the ban hammer rather than address the issue.
Altrac00

Post by Altrac00 »

Yes. In game the ones with disk can direct seed, the ones with power harrow can not.

That is why I seek for an official answer from the devs. I Just need a "just plow and seed" or "sorry is a bug-feature as intended" and I will go in peace.

Talking about bug-feature, in Reddit someome talk about some LUA error on those devices.
Altrac00

Post by Altrac00 »

Amazone says on its official page:
"Even in hard going, the rotary cultivator loosens the ground without a problem and simultaneously intensively mixes in the straw."

https://amazone.net/en/products-digital ... ator-53032
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Altrac00 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:37 am Amazone says on its official page:
"Even in hard going, the rotary cultivator loosens the ground without a problem and simultaneously intensively mixes in the straw."

https://amazone.net/en/products-digital ... ator-53032
But none of the pictures that are on that page show that unit being used on solid ground, every picture looks like the ground was previously plowed or otherwise tilled
Playing on PC and PS4
Altrac00

Post by Altrac00 »

Yes, but I can not find a real work pic or video. But they say "the rotary cultivator loosens the ground without a problem"
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Altrac00 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:55 am Yes, but I can not find a real work pic or video. But they say "the rotary cultivator loosens the ground without a problem"
Write an email to Amazone, and ask if that specific drill setup can be, and is being, used as a direct drill. I'm sure they can give you the most accurate answer. And THEN you can decide if you want to keep on writing to Giants and say how wrong they are, and use unbelievable amounts of energy on that..
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
farmer_bell

Post by farmer_bell »

This is how we did things on our farm.
Please note that my real world experience with these machines is based on working on our 350 acre family farm back in the 80's and 90's, so technology and working practices have moved on a bit.
On our farm we did not use no till and still round our area nobody really uses it. Local farmers have tried it, but keeping control of the weeds has proven to be a bit of a nightmare.

Our working process was as follows after harvest.

Step 1 plough. Ploughing leaves a rough, bouncy surface, which is no good for planting. The seed drill would miss bits, not to mention, it would be a very uncomfy ride for the operator.
Step 2 breaking in (Cultivating). This process smooths out the hills and troughs created by ploughing. It also gives you a chance to remove any errant rocks etc. Our soil had a bit of clay in it, so attempting to cultivate if the ground was too wet was a nightmare. Sometimes we ended up having to cultivate twice just to break down any larger sods of earth that had been thrown up, or clumped together because of weather.
Step 3 Seed. We had a 4m pull behind seeder. It did not have any built in cultivator, so you had to ensure that the cultivator had made a good job, otherwise your seeding would be a disaster.

So from harvest to getting the seeds in was a minimum of 3 steps, sometimes 4 steps weather dependant. So this meant you were using diesel and driving over the field multiple times, which was not good for ground compaction etc.

Using a rotary harrow with seed drill on the back basically removes the need to cultivate. You still need to plough, as the tines on the rotary harrow were not strong enough to cut into unploughed ground. The rotary action is very effective in breaking up and smoothing out the ground after ploughing.
It creates a better seedbed than cultivating and saves on diesel and the amount of times you have to drive over a field.
The downside is that you need a bigger tractor to lift the entire machine as well as having enough HP to run the thing.

We had a 350 acre farm and had 2 88HP tractors. So HP was a big factor in deciding to run a rotary cultivator. We were not about to replace perfectly good tractors, so we just stuck with conventional methods.

In my opinion, I thing Giants have very over simplified the whole cultivation process in the game, but that is probably to make it more accessible.
I personally think it is a coding issue for the combined rotary cultivator and seeders, as when they are attached, it is a seed drill that has no direct drill function, but when it is detached, it acts like a cultivator.
I would never use a rotary machine on ground that was not ploughed.
I think it would have been good to have certain machines that only work the ground after correct initial preperation. Ie not all cultivators should be able to create cultivated ground. The shallow units and the rotary units should only be able to work after ploughing. Similarly, certain seeders should only work after the ground is cultivated, not just ploughed. That way you would create a real world reason for having No till seeders, rotary seeders and conventional seeders.

So to answer the OP's original question, I think the ingame rotary seeders are setup wrong and it is a "as intended bug"

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

The only intentional mistake Giants made is the fact you can use a standalone power harrow to cultivate.
A power horrow is used after cultivating or plowing, no matter it's used seperate or combined with a seeder.
Direct drills are using discs to cultivate, power harrows are used to prepare a better seedbed, but there is no function for this in game.
So with the way the game is setup, there is no real function for power harrows, so most likely that's why the standalone ones can cultivate.
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Altrac00 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:02 pm I reported it as a bug and they only closed my report with the word "intended"
Altrac00 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:08 am That is why I seek for an official answer from the devs. I Just need a "just plow and seed" or "sorry is a bug-feature as intended" and I will go in peace.
I apologise if I misunderstand, but it sounds like Giants have answered your question in exactly the way you are asking for.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Drmattymd wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:44 am
But none of the pictures that are on that page show that unit being used on solid ground, every picture looks like the ground was previously plowed or otherwise tilled
Watch the video, they run it over rocks on a compacted circle track. Plus there’s videos all over of people direct drilling with the original setup the op mentioned it’s not impossible
Altrac00

Post by Altrac00 »

I did it a month ago via email, Facebook and web form. Unanswered.

[quote=JensChrDK post_id=1580246 time=1692254546 user_id=123756]
[quote=Altrac00 post_id=1580240 time=1692240942 user_id=190151]
Yes, but I can not find a real work pic or video. But they say "the rotary cultivator loosens the ground without a problem"
[/quote]

Write an email to Amazone, and ask if that specific drill setup can be, and is being, used as a direct drill. I'm sure they can give you the most accurate answer. And THEN you can decide if you want to keep on writing to Giants and say how wrong they are, and use unbelievable amounts of energy on that..
[/quote]