Player Psychology - Grinding

blue_painted

Re: Player Psychology - Grinding

Post by blue_painted »

I was just wondering if there is any correlation between "farmers" and "managers" and those who use productions and those who don't?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Dixie Farmer

Post by Dixie Farmer »

I think farming and grinding are 2 different gaming terms, I play World of Warcraft, Farming is the act of doing something over and over again to gain in game materials or items you need for something, Grinding is the act of doing the same thing over and over to gain experience points, tokens or something like reputation where you collect something you don’t actually get (sorry can’t explain it but hopefully you know what I mean).

I play FS22 both ways you describe, on my pc at night with my wheel, pedals and everthing else and I play like I’m a farmer, sometimes in the day I’ll be a Farm Manager and set up Courseplay/Autodrive to do long boring jobs that I wouldn’t like to do myself.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Dixie Farmer wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:14 pm I think farming and grinding are 2 different gaming terms, I play World of Warcraft, Farming is the act of doing something over and over again to gain in game materials or items you need for something, Grinding is the act of doing the same thing over and over to gain experience points, tokens or something like reputation where you collect something you don’t actually get (sorry can’t explain it but hopefully you know what I mean).
I get it. I think each game slightly alters the vocuabulary based on game mechanics and goals. When I play Celtic Heroes I will "farm" (kill the same spawn spots over and over ad infinitum) for specific drops needed for a quest. Whereas I will grind (kill thousands of mobs that are close to my level) for experience, gold and maybe a nice drop I can sell. However, grinding while using a x4 experience elixer is called leveling. Then there is "doing dailys" when you go accomplish the set of quests that only happen once a day.

With FS there is no XP, no drops, and no quest rewards. Its just money. So the terms kind of merge.

By the way, love how the discussion is going. Keep it up.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

Play style: Both styles. I run my farm as I would If I farmed for real. Sometimes I have time and want to do certain tasks. Other times I need to do other work or don't feel like doing it all and hire helpers

Motivation: It's fun and relaxing to create new farms and grow over time. I like setting goals for what I want to try and purchase for the next year. Also comparing my costs and profit for each field and seeing how efficient I can be with newer setups or bigger equipment. Or doing things a different way. I like that even though I may not do some things the "best" way, it doesn't mean that I lose. I just don't make as much that year.

Personality: Introvert.

Other game types I like: my game library has just about every genre except fantasy roleplay games and other management games. I'm a suc ker for GTA or RDR if and when new versions release. Far cry, sports, racing. I'm always dabbling in farm sim each week and other days my new addiction is Enlisted or War Thunder

Why FS: I saw 15 and 17 at gamestop for awhile but thought it would be some linear kids game. Bought it for my son and instead it became my game

Grinding: Yep! Even though I'm a habitual map jumper, I can never start with loads of money or exploit the game to make money too quick.

The only game aspect I exploit is the ability to use my own grains to complete harvest contracts 😉.....JK
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

mydixiewrecked wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:12 am
Play style: Both styles. I run my farm as I would If I farmed for real. Sometimes I have time and want to do certain tasks. Other times I need to do other work or don't feel like doing it all and hire helpers

Motivation: It's fun and relaxing to create new farms and grow over time. I like setting goals for what I want to try and purchase for the next year. Also comparing my costs and profit for each field and seeing how efficient I can be with newer setups or bigger equipment. Or doing things a different way. I like that even though I may not do some things the "best" way, it doesn't mean that I lose. I just don't make as much that year.

Personality: Introvert.

Other game types I like: my game library has just about every genre except fantasy roleplay games and other management games. I'm a suc ker for GTA or RDR if and when new versions release. Far cry, sports, racing. I'm always dabbling in farm sim each week and other days my new addiction is Enlisted or War Thunder

Why FS: I saw 15 and 17 at gamestop for awhile but thought it would be some linear kids game. Bought it for my son and instead it became my game

Grinding: Yep! Even though I'm a habitual map jumper, I can never start with loads of money or exploit the game to make money too quick.
The only game aspect I exploit is the ability to use my own grains to complete harvest contracts 😉.....JK
:mrgreen:
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

FBtheSQL wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:28 pm

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

Play style: Farmer

Motivation: Growing up with a family full of road construction workers, truckers, farmers, demo and excavating, mechanics and so on, its only natural that I gravitated towards heavy machinery as a kid and spent most of my adult life in various fields of working involving machines. It just feels natural to me.

Personality: Introverted but I like to help people

Other game types I like: Simulators, Survival and games that are good for roleplay. I honestly play a fair few different games.

Why FS: FS15 went on sale right before 17 dropped on xbone and I got it as kind of a joke. It went from a funny joke to pass a few minutes to a full on addiction in no time at all.

Grinding: Doesn't really bother me. Kind of the opposite as when I don't have anything to grind towards, I tend to lose interest unless I am playing with a friend or roleplaying something specific. Just..... not the second act of lumberjacks dynasty. OMFG it took me 2 years to push thru that grind.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Kamiko

Post by Kamiko »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:02 am Just..... not the second act of lumberjacks dynasty. OMFG it took me 2 years to push thru that grind.
I really liked reading your posts till now.

Is putting "f" word before "God" really necessary? (acronyms are not senseless bunch of letters - they DO mean something)

I think you wouldn't feel happy if I did put "f***" before your mother's name.

I always thought you're a very nice person, so I hope you'll understand.

Cheers.
PrincessJessi84

I didn't mean anything by it.. besides.. couldn't it be literally any combination of the words that start with o m f and g? olive mustard fart gas? Honestly, sometimes I am not as articulate as others. Its kind of a thing with me. Its the medicine. It is also one of the main reasons I stopped trying to run the trader. Sometimes its just harder to communicate.
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Kamiko wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:41 am
PrincessJessi84 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:02 am Just..... not the second act of lumberjacks dynasty. OMFG it took me 2 years to push thru that grind.

Is putting "f" word before "God" really necessary? (acronyms are not senseless bunch of letters - they DO mean something)

Cheers.
Please don't take this fine thread into a rilegious discussion about who's mother is god... If you believe in something, fine - don't bother the rest of us with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playstyle: Farmer.

Motivation: Grew up with earth moving machines, in my fathers one-man company, helped by my brother and me - around different farms which I helped out on as much as possible.

Personality: Introverted.

Other games: Used to play Gran Turismo and GTA on PlayStation - haven't done much of that the last couple of years.

Why FS: I discovered FS on a mobile device, had to check out if there was something similar for my PS3, found FS13 and was sold. This game was everything I dreamed of having growing up! Since then moved to PC and haven't look back since!

Grinding: As stated by others, farming is repetitive - maybe feels alot more in game, since a year doesn't take a year, and then the task quickly repeats itself - but I love it!
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
Guil

Post by Guil »

Play style: Previously I would definitely have been manager but over the last few years more farmer. A lot more so since joining a big MP community that has a mod to remove helpers haha

Motivation: I've always loved machinery and trucks and driving trucks for the last 15 years

Personality: No clue but a test told me mostly extrovert lol

Other game types I like: Driving mainly, played a bit of ETS and ATS but rarely do anymore. Play a bit of world of tanks

Why FS: Out of work with an injury and FS15 was on sale on the PS store and had always wanted to play it

Grinding: I'm not really ''gone'' on grinding in games and usually get bored of it quickly. I play games for fun
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

This is a friendly neighborhood.

PrincessJessi84 used an F and a G in the same sentence which evidently Kamiko is very sensitive to.

Kamiko made a request to please not do that. A little emotion was included, but that is how they felt, so understandable.

PrincessJessi84 made an appology. No harm intended.

We can be respectful an avoid things that hurt our friends. We all have issues that don't have to make sense to anybody else. We all get triggered by certain phrases based on our history.
It's no big deal, just imperfect people communicating and trying to be courteous.

Lesson learned. Move on.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
PrincessJessi84

Yea there is no need to make a big deal over it. I misstepped... simple as that. I usually handle certain things with a lot more tact than that but this time I stepped out of my usual lane. No worries.
PC
2x 24" Dell Monitors
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Kamiko wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:41 am

Cheers.

Oh My Friggin Goodness.

When my mother was alive, Gordy rest her soul, she had a wonderful sense of humor. She would have laughed if her name was tossed in there.
sporadicsmiles

Post by sporadicsmiles »

Play style: Grinding
Motivation: I like the monotony of these kinds of games. It allows my brain to simply shut down and get on with something more or less mindless. So going up and down a field while watching something on a second monitor is a good way to relax my brain and decompress. I find having to manage things more involved and therefore less relaxing as I have to pay more attention to what is going on.
Personality: I'm pretty balanced, neither overtly extroverted or introverted. I like people, but I am happy alone.
Other game types I like: Anything where I can do what I described above. The truck simulators are a good example. I find House Flipper gives me similar vibes of grinding for fun. Brewmaster. Car Mechanic Simulator (if just repairing old cars, not the fault finding side), Fishing North Atlantic, Construction Simulator. These are my non competitive chilling out games.
Why FS: I was exploring new games at the start of covid. I quickly realised I needed an alternative way to decompress than going to the pub with friends to have some beers and chill out. Other games I played at the time had a more competitive element, and they needed something else to go alongside them. I started to explore genres, came across CMS and House Flipper. Enjoyed them immensely. Decided to try out some other of simulator genres. Saw FS was popular, had always had some interest in farming. Got addicted to it, and have around 5k hours on the last 2 games.
Grinding: I do not see it as grinding. It is cyclical. You have to plan (with the right mods) what you are doing in advance. In essence this game is just painting the land with different textures, so in that aspect it would always be grinding. Grinding for me would be starting with zero and working my way up. Else it is just simulating years on a farm.