Player Psychology - Grinding

UncleRico

Re: Player Psychology - Grinding

Post by UncleRico »

Kamiko wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:41 am
I really liked reading your posts till now.

Is putting "f" word before "God" really necessary? (acronyms are not senseless bunch of letters - they DO mean something)

I think you wouldn't feel happy if I did put "f***" before your mother's name.

I always thought you're a very nice person, so I hope you'll understand.

Cheers.
Keep it to yourself please, we don’t need to go the religious route there’s an off topic section for stuff like that. Self regulate please. Nothing blows up a good discussion like politics or religion
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

sporadicsmiles wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:51 am
Grinding: I do not see it as grinding. It is cyclical. You have to plan (with the right mods) what you are doing in advance. In essence this game is just painting the land with different textures, so in that aspect it would always be grinding. Grinding for me would be starting with zero and working my way up. Else it is just simulating years on a farm.
Good point. I would not explain to someone that doesnt play that the process of growing my farm is grinding. Grinding is for games like the War thunder and Enlisted games I been playing. I have to play many matches to unlock one item I was researching. Grinding games although fun at the start, usually make me bored and I move on after a relatively short time. If FS made me plow the same fields over and over to unlock tractors, I wouldn't be having this discussion lol
xClawx28

Post by xClawx28 »

Play Style: Farmer, I like play more realistic but do use helpers for spreading lime and sometimes picking stones. The GPS mod my top mod as I always use it. I like starting a map with a year of start in mind (like 1978 or 1993) and playing through the years with the right equipment if available. When I find a map I like it has over 1000 hours when I'm done with it.
Motivation: Always love farm equipment since I was young. I just find the machine and how the tools function interesting.
Personality: Introvert
Other game types I like: Real time strategy and FPS games
Why FS: I saw some videos on FS13 and thought it was a game I would enjoy. I put some good hours into it but playing Battlefield 4 with friends made it go by the way side. Then I got really bored the summer of 2017 and FS17 was on sale for $12 and it got its hooks fully in to me and reignited my love for the equipment and agriculture as a whole. Many hours of YouTube videos on farming and 8000 to 9000 hours of play since I got FS17.
Grinding: I don't mind grind in most games along as it is does not start impeding my enjoyment of the game. In FS I can be happy plowing a field for three hours as I like that I can visually see the progress I'm making.
FS 13 PC. FS17 Xbox. FS19 PC. FS22 PC
I'm xClaw Modding.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Curiosity question.

I have a hypothesis that your game style has a direct relationship to your employment choice.

We tend to succeed better when we play to our strengths.

Example someone who works on an assembly line that performs repetative activities (and enjoy the work) I assume are farmer types.
I am assuming managers tend to have jobs where they are constantly solving some new problem and probably dont do well with maintenance tasks.

Am I close?
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Didn’t consider that. I would say fairly close for me. I run a crew out of a machine. So basically I’m running a piece of heavy equipment while I keep an eye on everything and everyone else. Which I basically listed as my play style. I would say though most folks in a management role in the style I’m in wouldn’t be turned off by a little maintenance. It tends to be a put yourself in the most difficult most important position type of role if someone isn’t more qualified. At least if you want to be successful or to be liked when the going gets tough. I would also add from the farmers I grew up knowing it’s very similar to a gambling addict the joy isn’t derived from the repetitive act it’s the hope for success and the ability to have a short memory with the more painful situations that are out of your hands.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Let me elaborate a little more.
The white collar equivalent to a Farmer is an accountant or CPA. Always crunching the same numbers, Gross on line 1 Net on line 10 minus tax differed costs, etc.
The white collar equivalent to a Manage would be a software developer. Always solving a new problem.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.

Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Helazak wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:41 am Let me elaborate a little more.
The white collar equivalent to a Farmer is an accountant or CPA. Always crunching the same numbers, Gross on line 1 Net on line 10 minus tax differed costs, etc.
The white collar equivalent to a Manage would be a software developer. Always solving a new problem.
I don't think the distinction between farmer/manager maps onto assembly-line/manager, as problem-solver/do-er.

I'm a farmer-player and for me the problem solving is important, fitting the equipment to the task and environment, but also the use of that equipment: how to make the big clumsy potato harvester useful, how to work the 6m combine header through the gates, how best to drill (seed) a field with tramlines ... and all of that required hands-on driving and yet is still problem solving. It's not always solving a new problem, it's somtimes solving old problems more efficiently.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I have to agree with blue_painted. I do a pretty good amount of planning and logistics and all that playing by myself (or with my 1 helper). In fact, my playstyle might require even more planning than others as playing with such small machines, it can be a struggle to find enough hp to do the work and it requires planning and creativity. Or when the farm starts growing and I have to plan where I am going to be at at any given moment to keep up with my own tasks as well as assisting the help. And material planning. I don't have to plan and make sure I have enough. No, I often have to plan to not over buy things like seed and fert. Seed is one of the things, as I understand, that shouldn't be held onto for extended periods. So figuring out how much I need and not going over. Even planning which productions to run at what times as production costs can quickly bury a tiny farm requires a fair amount of observational planning.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

I like where this is going. Lets try to change the defintion. Its not that farmers dont solve problems. Most farmers have to be mechanics and welders and inventors. Perhaps it is more like the definitions of introvert and extrovert. Introverts recharge by being alone. Extroverts recharge by being with people. Farmers appear to enjoy the peace of repitition. Managers get quickly bored with the repitition and need more variety.

mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

In real life I'd only use helpers as needed. In farm sim I use them as much as possible to save time. If I could do jobs and rely more on the workers (console) I would. There's no correlation with how I play and how I live/work. I'm an Introvert either way lol
Last edited by mydixiewrecked on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

IRL I learned a long time ago that if I can buy a tool for $50 that saves me an hour of time it is absolutely worth it especially if I can use it on another project. If I have to pay someone to change my car oil for $50, I have to consider changing my own oil will probably take an hour from prep to oil disposal. How much money can I make in overtime in that same hour? If I have a more lucrative way to spend my time then it is worth it to have someone else change my oil. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a job that permits overtime is decades, so I do a lot of DIY.

mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

"What's your time worth?"

Besides the fact if you can or cannot afford to pay someone else or make overtime pay rather than have someone else, you also have to consider who your having do the work. There's no way in heck I could justify paying a reputable garage to change my oil. They don't do it for only $50. And the hurry in n out quick lube places I'd never let touch one of my vehicles. I worked 10 years around salesmen with this philosophy about their time, and also seen the consequences when they get the wrong incompetent "technician ". Over filled transmission, don't change oil filter, just the oil, forgot to replace dipstick, forgot to replace fill plug. The fill plug was good and melted to the manifold it fell into A+. This was with 3 salesmen over 10 years. Still not worth my risk
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

My time trumps everything if there’s something better needs doing. It’s the only thing you’re not going to be able to make up for later.
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

UncleRico wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:17 am My time Trumps everything if there’s something better needs doing. It’s the only thing you’re not going to be able to make up for later.
I thought you said to not talk politics...
:lol:
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

UncleRico wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:17 am My time trumps everything if there’s something better needs doing. It’s the only thing you’re not going to be able to make up for later.
Reading this comment stressed me out because the person who says this exact comment around me on a regular basis, is also the worst manager of time I've ever met in my life lol