Court Farms - underwhelmed.

Lawma

Re: Court Farms - underwhelmed.

Post by Lawma »

I'll never figure out how some of you get so many hours into multiple maps. Usually the most hrs I can muster a week is 10 to 12. That would be a good week at that. Maybe someday lol
FenlandFarmer

Post by FenlandFarmer »

NolezFarmer56 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:32 pm I started playing this map just because it was a British cottage type map. I'm a big fan of wide open American style maps. Big fields and big equipment. I absolutely HATED playing this map. Tiny little roads, not enough pathways to get to sell points or just back to your own farm, too many piles of rubbish, tires, concrete, pipes, etc... So, I just decided to not play it any more. But, I thought out loud, how can I make it more playable?
First I moved all my equipment out to that giant field by the road. Those tiny equipment sheds are ridiculous. I don't even actually need sheds to be honest. I realized you can drive right through those hedge rows lining every field. Chopped down every tree that causes collisions. Placed 9 bridges all over the map. Made some new roads to follow to get back and forth. Added a bunch of lighting around the map to find my bridges and make night farming easier. I do a lot of night farming. I'm enjoying playing this map now. I do a lot of contracts and have about 8 fields right next to the farm. So, there you go!
Im just asking not meaning to challenge you are anything but after youve done all that whats left of the map that you do like? what i mean is it seems to me that youve taken away a lot of what gives the map its feel.

Im going to say again that Im not meaning to say you are wrong or anything else would be right, im just asking for curiosity.
NolezFarmer56

Post by NolezFarmer56 »

I enjoy the scenery of the map, I like the shape of the fields, I love the old buildings, the contracts are fun too. I actually enjoy the map just didn't like the frustration of getting around and on and off the roads to get to a field. There is no right or wrong when you're playing the game. It is a game after all and you play it like you enjoy playing it. I don't use money cheats of any kind. I do use mods a lot. Super Strength is probably my most used "Cheat" I guess. To each their own. I'm about to quit playing it now to move back to a bigger map. I just love that big American equipment. I usually try to stick to one brand of equipment. This will probably be a CASE-IH map.
FenlandFarmer

Post by FenlandFarmer »

still not meaning to preach but i found its easy to think court farms is bigger than it is so i started with jd 8r and was going for 36m tramlines but it turned out that 6r and 24m is more than big enough. a long way round to say that really court farms is a lot of small farms that works best with small kit. its on the somerset levels and ive not seen any really big stuff over there.
Paco_86

Post by Paco_86 »

moonwalker_1994 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:55 am I’ll take realistic maps over fun gameplay maps like Western Wilds every day of the week!

And that’s the reason I hate that Oxy doesn’t want to make a US map! All US maps out there may be great in terms of gameplay but they all lack detail!

Eastern European maps like Polowa are also quite a bit detailed and gameplay on them is epic! Just looking at the scenery makes your game so much nicer!

That’s one of the reasons I love Red Dead Redemption 2 so much too :zunge:
Me too!! I love red redemption 2, and I love the detailed maps like Polowa, also I like a map called ZDZIECHÓW (is not in modhub).
I'm playing in a Hp pavilion gaming laptop: Core i5 10300H, Nvidia Gtx 1650, 8 gb RAM
sootysax

Post by sootysax »

Dude, are you trying to make modders quit and take down all thier mods forever? That’s what posts like this do, and has happened before with many great FS modders..

If you dont have anything nice to say…..
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

I don’t understand this at all, why play court farms if you don’t want it to be court farms, it’s a replica of a real place called COURT FARMS so the tiny sheds, gates, rubbish , lack of pathways etc is exactly how it’s meant to be and is a real credit to Oxy for getting it so accurate and for him to be then blamed for doing this just doesn’t make sense to me, it’s a real life area
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

I have started on this map and I'm loving it!

The interesting thing is, the future prosperity/success of your farming isn't linked to bigger and bigger equipment, but with right-sizing the equipment for the environment. So, no 400hp tractors, massive combine headers or big balers. Its about having a portfolio of kit which can actually get through the gates, and/or finding an alternate route in and out of a field, not just blindly going through the hedges.

By saving money on not needing £200k+ kit, I'm able to buy more and more land, and be choosy about which fields are bought.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

paul_c wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:54 pm I have started on this map and I'm loving it!

The interesting thing is, the future prosperity/success of your farming isn't linked to bigger and bigger equipment, but with right-sizing the equipment for the environment. So, no 400hp tractors, massive combine headers or big balers. Its about having a portfolio of kit which can actually get through the gates, and/or finding an alternate route in and out of a field, not just blindly going through the hedges.

By saving money on not needing £200k+ kit, I'm able to buy more and more land, and be choosy about which fields are bought.
That's what I found too. The starter kit was too big for me to use comfortably.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Keade

Post by Keade »

I honestly love every one of Oxy's maps and have nothing bad to say about them. Yeah alright in some maps field entrances may be small than what you'd expect if you're not from the UK, or are new to British farming but this is what they have to deal with in reality and this is one thing I love about Court Farms which is the realistic aspect to it. Granted, don't get me wrong it can be frustrating to get certain bits of machinery or equipment into a field if the entrance isn't or the gate doesn't open wide enough but this is just one of those maps which demands smaller equipment or machinery to be used.
For me personally, anything above 300hp or 6m is far too much for any British or Irish map but then for maps like Calmsden you have the option there to actually use bigger equipment, bigger machinery whereas in Court Farms its all about smaller equipment.

In all honesty though and I am not going to slate Oxy though he could've added a bit more into the farm house, furniture wise but otherwise its great as is.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

chedly_farms wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:10 pm I'll take a realistic map any day over cookie cutter maps with all the production bells and whistles. Me personally, I get lost in realistic maps, in a good way. There is just something in me that just smiles when I'm playing and have the most realistic looking scenes in the background.
This. So spot on.

To me this game is escape from my busy real life so the ambient of the map is important.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

blue_painted wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:34 am
paul_c wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:54 pm I have started on this map and I'm loving it!

That's what I found too. The starter kit was too big for me to use comfortably.
I find that is true on a great many maps. First thing I do on just about any map I play, no matter where in the world, is sell off all the starting equipment then edit the xml to set the money for a reasonably challenging start. (And of course adjust other gameplay parameters, economy etc., for the type of start I want). Then get a bare bones set of basic equipment suited to the map to get started with.

To enjoy a map like Court Farms I feel you have to be in the right frame of mind, to accept the extra fuss of working in a tight environment, limiting yourself to equipment that can be reasonably managed in it, and taking your time going/maneuvering where you need to go. If you're up for that it's a fabulous map, if not then it's the wrong map, period.
nuggetz

Post by nuggetz »

I'm a big fan of immersion. Something always keeps me coming back to Calmsden. I just feel good there. Yeah, gates are a pain and roads are tight but to me the map has to be immersive first and foremost. However, I will admit that once you're deep into it, you sort of wish it had more production points and things that other maps have. I'm still hunting for that perfect map with the perfect starter farm with good equipment that will give me a good start without having to engage the money genie.

I just recently came across Court Farms and I think its lovely. I wasn't a big fan of the starter farm and moved all my stuff across the map to the "Home Farm". Not sure why we dont start on the home farm if that's what its called. I settle in and then realize that the sheep buy point isn't there. There's always something and this is the type of thing that totally kills things for me and why I jump from map to map to map to map to effen map.
Tommy93

Post by Tommy93 »

nuggetz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:35 am I settle in and then realize that the sheep buy point isn't there. There's always something and this is the type of thing that totally kills things for me and why I jump from map to map to map to map to effen map.
I believe the sheep pasture on the "home farm" is on a field/farmland that you need to purchase first. Then all icons appear to where you can purchase the animals for the pastures, food, water etc etc.

nuggetz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:35 am Not sure why we dont start on the home farm if that's what its called.
Like Calsmden, by the same author, this map is also based on a real life location in the UK. And the map is called Court Farms, as that is one of the real farms around there. Home Farm is another real farm in the area but to call a map that name doesn't sound to good I guess.

I'm already grateful that the map makers at least give us a couple farms(on most maps) to choose from so it's easy to sell the starting land and move if you don't like the starting farm. But if you on pc there is a mod that allows you to pick your starting farm when multiple farms are setup on a map.
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

Update log says you can sell off the horse pasture on court farm....can't really find the trigger to sell it
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9