some decent Deere?

mackintosh

Re: some decent Deere?

Post by mackintosh »

gilroy222 wrote:I agree with Mac. From what I've seen there's definitely not any good JD mods. I myself do not even want to look at it if it can't even have the same textures as giants default tractors.

Why is that anyway? Is it due to laziness or is there some code giants haven't released yet that I keep hearing about?
They added specular highlights and diffusion, possibly some bump mapping too. This does require some work to get right. It's a fine line between having light reflecting properly to simulate a metal surface and turning it into a plastic toy. Most conversions lack these additions and that is why they look bland.

The problem is most modders are very skilled at creating models and objects, but are terrible texture artists. Most flight sim and train sim teams have people who do just that, but they rarely ply their trade for free.
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

No I haven't seen it! I'll look at it tonight!

Has anyone heard anymore on Windchaser farms?
_Ty_

Post by _Ty_ »

mackintosh wrote:
The problem is most modders are very skilled at creating models and objects, but are terrible texture artists. Most flight sim and train sim teams have people who do just that, but they rarely ply their trade for free.
Exactly. Mack, which flight and train sim are you a part of? I flew most of the flight sims as well.

Just last night I zoomed in on the green Bergmann forage wagon. To be honest, Giants color green seems to be sub par to the rest of some of their colors, has that toy-ish game look. I'm beginning to wonder if JD green is really hard to produce and look right. I've seen some toned down green that may be "off" from JD green , but I would accept it as a much easier green to look at and not that toy cartoon look.

Ty
_Ty_

Post by _Ty_ »

gilroy222 wrote:No I haven't seen it! I'll look at it tonight!

Has anyone heard anymore on Windchaser farms?
They just released version 1.1 last night. see my post on the other thread. it 's a little ugly on the navigation side but it is one big map. Check it out tell me what you think.

nothing on Windchaser farms, tried to go to the FB link the other day but nothing.

Ty
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

_Ty_ wrote: Exactly. Mack, which flight and train sim are you a part of? I flew most of the flight sims as well.
I've always been fond of civil aviation and spent most of my time in Microsoft's Flight Simulator, starting in the mid-80s, all the way until FSX, at which point I left the scene, as there wasn't much in the way of development from MS and even now with Prepar3d it's not enough to coax me back. RSC/DTG's TS 2015 is what I'm wasting some of my time and a lot of my money on these days, focusing mostly on British trains, as that community is very well organised and there's quite a bit of 3rd party development going on.
ilovetrains

Post by ilovetrains »

soooooo......we might a little off-topic here, but hey, good convo.

First off - this board needs a suggestion area. Specifically, what version of BBB is this that we cannot multi-quote or clip quote? Second, we NEED a thanks button so you can thank those that help.

on the Deere mods - pretty sure those listed above are not what I (and others) are looking for. It was summed up best when it was stated they need to be Giants quality.

On Windchaser - the official thread at AEM states it will NOT be released, ever. In a couple posts that have since been taken down it was stated that the creator told others he would NEVER release it publicly. I have given up on it.

On PV15 - have most of it downloaded (pretty please Google Fiber hurry up and get to my neighborhood!) and will try it before long. I am cautioned by the statement on their FB page that they do not recommend it for SP.
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

That's a bummer on winchaser. Being from Canada I've been looking for a real good accurate American map as most canadian farms (including mine) is similar to what is found in the Midwestern united states.
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

I just looked at PV. It looks sweet and the amount of things you can do is insane! I agree with trains though in that I wouldn't play it on single player. It would be awsome to have it on a server though which from watching the videos seems like the intended purpose.
_Ty_

Post by _Ty_ »

That is a bummer on Windchaser farms, was looking forward to that. Eventually we'll get something.

Mack, I played most of the Combat sims to include IL-2, Warbirds, Aces High, DCS, IL-2 BOS. It's not as flashy as the SP civilian sims but boy there is nothing better then jousting with another human in another aircraft, always a great time.

On the Deere mods: I've contemplated trying my hand at Blender to bring us a quality JD tractor. But to be honest, the time it would take to learn the program, make and release a quality mod would be pretty taxing. I get so much entertainment value out of playing the game still I'm not sure I could put it down. Then like Mack pointed out modeling is only part of it, then there are texturing and I imagine some scripts somewhere attached. Too much to learn.

Ty
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

_Ty_ wrote:That is a bummer on Windchaser farms, was looking forward to that. Eventually we'll get something.

Mack, I played most of the Combat sims to include IL-2, Warbirds, Aces High, DCS, IL-2 BOS. It's not as flashy as the SP civilian sims but boy there is nothing better then jousting with another human in another aircraft, always a great time.

On the Deere mods: I've contemplated trying my hand at Blender to bring us a quality JD tractor. But to be honest, the time it would take to learn the program, make and release a quality mod would be pretty taxing. I get so much entertainment value out of playing the game still I'm not sure I could put it down. Then like Mack pointed out modeling is only part of it, then there are texturing and I imagine some scripts somewhere attached. Too much to learn.

Ty
I've also debated trying to learn it myself. Problem is being in University and only casually playing the game when I have time, I just wouldn't ever be able to play I wouldn't think.
_Ty_

Post by _Ty_ »

lol, looks like we have come to the same conclusion.
ilovetrains

Post by ilovetrains »

_Ty_ wrote:To help Mack out with his above reference to agrosketch.

Looks like they have released the first version of the agrosketch JD to the public that you mentioned above.
http://www.modhub.us/farming-simulator- ... -7r-8r-v1/

Just like what everyone is talking about...those textures....hope this why it is a V1.0. I'll try it out tonight.
-------------------------------------------------------
Tired of downloading 400HP JD tractors that look like stuff and sound like a lawn mower...

Side note- Gilroy222 you check out Pleasant valley 15 yet? This could be our map!.... :smileynew:

Ty
Hey Ty - have you played with the 7r and 8r yet?

I got them and started playing with the 8r...the steering is a little wonky (wont run int a straight line) and it has some weird physics characteristics when sitting still. tends to slide a lot. I thought I would dig around int he xml file and try to fix a few things, but both my xml editors (xml notepad on windows and serna on Mac) state it is not a good xml file and refuse to open it. Curious if you have tried it out.
_Ty_

Post by _Ty_ »

ilovetrains wrote:
_Ty_ wrote:To help Mack out with his above reference to agrosketch.

Looks like they have released the first version of the agrosketch JD to the public that you mentioned above.
http://www.modhub.us/farming-simulator- ... -7r-8r-v1/

Just like what everyone is talking about...those textures....hope this why it is a V1.0. I'll try it out tonight.
-------------------------------------------------------
Tired of downloading 400HP JD tractors that look like stuff and sound like a lawn mower...

Side note- Gilroy222 you check out Pleasant valley 15 yet? This could be our map!.... :smileynew:

Ty
Hey Ty - have you played with the 7r and 8r yet?

I got them and started playing with the 8r...the steering is a little wonky (wont run int a straight line) and it has some weird physics characteristics when sitting still. tends to slide a lot. I thought I would dig around int he xml file and try to fix a few things, but both my xml editors (xml notepad on windows and serna on Mac) state it is not a good xml file and refuse to open it. Curious if you have tried it out.

Hi Trains,
I did try it out. Probably not quite as long as yourself.
I've downloaded so many JD tractors and usually pitch them within a few minutes. But... this particular one seems to be well on it's way. good enough for FS2013, but not FS 2015. If I have the right one, the inside cab is the closest I've seen next to Giants quality, it's pretty close but still 2nd to Giants. I assume the AgroSketch guy will keep working on it. Think it had decent sound as well(?) I noticed the sliding while sitting still also. I assume that will get fixed eventually. lets hope anyway. I did not try to pull anything with it to see how it responds. In the end, if it doesn't look good I wouldn't use it anyway. If they only would work on these textures...good grief.

On a similiar note-you've probably come across a particular family of JD, like 8330, 8430, 8530 with the IC etc. It's all the same mod team, porting over the 2013 models. anyway, playing around I tried pitching their wimpy sounds in exchange for a JD 6150 I found that had great sound, real beefy and solid. something that a 350 HP engine would growl like. It was awesome!! Cant wait for the day we have something like this.

Ty
ilovetrains

Post by ilovetrains »

I would love to grab the sound set you found.

Yes - I think they put some time into the sound set for these. I say that because they sound fairly realistic - though some people might be turned off by that. you can here the hydro pumps more than the exhaust note. This is about what they sound like from 30-40 ft away, or in other words on the other side of my fence when the guy next door disced last week with a 7r.

I wish I could get into the xml files though, I am pretty sure I could fix the little problems and have a couple great tractors. I tried editing a few things in notepad but it is not working.
_Ty_

Post by _Ty_ »

I was just going to say run over to modhub.us or FS15world and just do a search for 6150, but I did that to go get the link and I am now confused which one it is. I'll have to take a look tonight when I get home.

when you say "I think they put some time into the sound set for these". Are you speaking about the agrosketch 7R/8R or the family of tractors I was referring too? I'd like the sounds close to the real thing as we can get, even if there not as I imagined. is the 7R/8R the latest generation?

I have to admit, as an owner of a 2011 F350 powerstroke, the deep skirt designs in all the new passenger trucks do seem to step a bit away from the last generation "growl" as I say and more towards a more quiet, muffled...maybe "tinny" sound (don't know how to really describe this in words). Maybe the tractors and there powerplants do the same these days.

hey on your notepad file, I'll just throw this out there, is it suppose to be saved as a .lua file? I ran across this last night on the drive control mod. Easily modified in Notepad, but saved as a .lua

Ty