FS19 lime question.

ekeenan

FS19 lime question.

Post by ekeenan »

While watching the first stream, I noticed that plowing is replaced by the use of lime. What is lime used for in farming and I am guessing you can still plow if you want?

Edit: They did mention in the stream that certain crops will require the plow, but for the most part plowing is replaced with the use of lime.

Edward K.
redglasses

Re: FS19 lime question.

Post by redglasses »

Lime increases the acidity of the field irl. Making crops grow better, although too much will ruin the crop
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Guitarman

Post by Guitarman »

Isn't calcium carbonate (the main compound in limestone) basic? Thus it would reduce acidity?

Either way, to my understanding most crops need a certain pH (assuming you dont know, a scale of how acidic or alkaline something is) to grow properly. Hence lime is used to control that.
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice the size it needs to be!

PC Specs (upgraded at last!): Acer Orion 3000; i5-8400, 8Gb Ram, GTX 1050ti, Intel Optane 16gb
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Lime reduces acidity. In other words it makes the soil more alkaline
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

Farmers take soil samples now to help them decide what they need in the field to help the soil. I doubt we have any soil mechanics to speak of so I'm guessing for the crops that dont require plowing we now have the option of spreading lime whether its every 3 harvests or what. Does anyone remember if anyone has mentioned crop rotation affecting yield? Seems like I do but I could have imagined it because I want it to happen lol
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

I too seem to recall hearing that not rotating crops reduces your yield, which I like. I rotate mine anyway in 17, but actually needing to (if true) in 19 will be even better.
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Oh yes, my bad, it reduces acidity
My Discord
crash

Post by crash »

Lime will increase the pH, and higher pH makes nutrients more aviable to the plants.
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Preble 818 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 am Farmers take soil samples now to help them decide what they need in the field to help the soil. I doubt we have any soil mechanics to speak of so I'm guessing for the crops that dont require plowing we now have the option of spreading lime whether its every 3 harvests or what. Does anyone remember if anyone has mentioned crop rotation affecting yield? Seems like I do but I could have imagined it because I want it to happen lol
They never said anything about crop rotation that i recalled, but that field info sure helps a helluva lot.
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

Yea I really liked seeing that too. Games looks great from what I can tell so far.
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

There was a mod for FS15 where you had to maintain certain ph and moisture levels or your yields were affected. It was great
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

BostonJohnny1226 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am There was a mod for FS15 where you had to maintain certain ph and moisture levels or your yields were affected. It was great
I never got that deep into 15 sounds cool. How did you adjust the ph?
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

With lime
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

I believe that was the Soil Mod. LBJ Modding used it in his gameplay videos and it made them all the better. I'm sure there is a tremendous amount of work, scripting, etc. that goes in to that mod much like seasons. It would be a cool feature to have one day though.
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Preble 818 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am Yea I really liked seeing that too. Games looks great from what I can tell so far.
Ya the field info looked pretty good and will help quite a bit, does this mean it got removed from the map in the menu? :hmm:
My Discord