Steering wheel.

sonya1431968

Steering wheel.

Post by sonya1431968 »

Looking to purchase a steering wheels controller for PC. What is everyone using?
Also do I need the gear shifter or pedals?

-clueless parent wanting to buy my kid an item on his wish list.
parad0x177

Re: Steering wheel.

Post by parad0x177 »

Pedals, yes. Shifter, no, at least with the base game.

I have the Logitech (formerly Saitek) Heavy Equipment wheel/pedal/side panel combo, and has served me and my son pretty well for more hours than I should probably admit. Catch it on sale, and the full set can be a pretty good deal if FS is the primary goal. However, you should be able to pickup the wheel and pedals as a set and add the side panel later, if desired.

However, I also have a Thrustmaster TX wheel, T3PA Pro pedals, and TH8A shifter. The quality/durability on those is on a different level. (Maybe not Fanatec, but the prices aren’t Fanatec prices either.) If there is an interest in other, realistic driving/racing games, something like that might be better in the long run. (It’s great for American Truck Sim/ European Truck Sim 2.) It’s also worth mentioning that the Logitech sidepanel can be bought separately and used in conjunction with most any wheel/pedal setup.

Bottom line, though, is that people use a wide variety of wheels and pedals with FS and (aside from some early ‘19 bugs) almost any decent set will work fine.
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

I’m using a G27. The shifter is not necessary for Farm Sim, however, I use some of the buttons on it to control equipment functions and run loaders. The pedals, on the other hand, are necessary.
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
erict43

Post by erict43 »

If you kiddo will only use it to play Farming Simulator, then the Logitech Heavy Equipment set is the way to go. If he/she will play other driving games, then I'd recommend the Logitech G27 or G920, along with the Logitech Heavy Equipment side panel if budget allows.
sonya1431968

Post by sonya1431968 »

My kiddo plays farm sim and American trucker sim. I posted on that games forum aswell.

I appreciate all of your input. So many choices...lol
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Fanatec is great quality, but I can’t get my fanatec wheel or pedals to work at all. It’s recognised by the game and I can set dead zones etc but there is no way to get the important stuff like steer, accelerate and brake to work. Works fine in other games. So I would stick to Logitech stuff for this game.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

theSeb wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am Fanatec is great quality
I see a lot of my fellow sim racers leaving Thrustmaster for Fanatec.
the big print giveth the small print taketh