FS22 and seasons locked to 3 days!?

Frag

FS22 and seasons locked to 3 days!?

Post by Frag »

Hi guys,

I am quite excited about FS22. There are many nice features comming and I know that it will be awesome.

However, I got a huge slap in the face when I heard that the new season feature will be locked to 3 days per season, which will be a serious immersion killer to me. The current Season system in FS19 has season length configurable... so why locking it to 3 days in FS22. Briefly, removing features in a newer release is never a popular option.

I always play my campaigns with 9 days seasons. I like to have the time to synch-in in the mood of the season and take a long winter break off the field to go chop some logs in the forest.

3 days will feel like playing in fast foward. I tried it just for testing it out again in FS19 and it is quite an immersion killer.

Briefly, what do you think about the decision to lock the season lenght to 3 days in FS22? Would you rather have it configurable as it is right now in FS19?
Beanbrother

Re: FS22 and seasons locked to 3 days!?

Post by Beanbrother »

I think I seen somewhere that they are looking into possibly change it. I guess there was a lot of pushback at farmcon
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Beanbrother wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:23 pm I think I seen somewhere that they are looking into possibly change it. I guess there was a lot of pushback at farmcon
You are right! That was one of the most commented system in FarmCon / following.

There's no confirmation that it will be ready prior of launching, or if this will ever happen.

I do hope so, I usually play longer seasons on bigger maps.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I think everyone that plays with seasons would like to have it configurable.

However, if you only worked during daylight hours (let's say 8am to 8pm) that's 36 hours of playtime during a season. Now, I know some players treat this game like a full-time job, but 144 hours to a "year" is more than a lot of people ever play on a map total.

I'll get used to it, but I do like playing 6 day seasons at 5x speed. It just works for me.

I'm not ready to jump from FS19 anyway. I'll wait and see what else they reveal in the next few months.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

3 days per season is not workable for me. There are a bunch of reasons for it, The short version is, it simply don`t fit into my style of play.
I`m always on 9 days per season with 5x speed. Skipping the night at some point because I don`t like to work in the dark and as in real life my farmer need at least a bit of sleep every night.
Not sure if it was officially announced, but i read somewhere that the speed can be reduced to 0,5x or even slower.
That is the worst solution they can provide in this case. I don`t want that everything like animal feed consumption and the new productions are running in slow motion when I do the harvest within a short harvest window of only 1-2 days.

I will keep playing FS19 and don`t change to FS22 immediately. Have still so much to do on my lovely Flint Hills 4x map…
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

I play 9 Days @ 5x Speed - The start is slow, but once the farm gets built up a bit... I never really have any downtime. I'm either with the animals, on the fields or in the forest. I mean, back in FS17 I played around with 1 save set for 6 Days and jumping between 1x and 5x speed, it was alright but the shorter season just wasn't my style. Gah, I hope they change that 3 Day........ that is one setting I never could handle. Too short. :sadnew:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Frag wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:16 pm Hi guys,

I am quite excited about FS22. There are many nice features comming and I know that it will be awesome.

However, I got a huge slap in the face when I heard that the new season feature will be locked to 3 days per season, which will be a serious immersion killer to me. The current Season system in FS19 has season length configurable... so why locking it to 3 days in FS22. Briefly, removing features in a newer release is never a popular option.

I always play my campaigns with 9 days seasons. I like to have the time to synch-in in the mood of the season and take a long winter break off the field to go chop some logs in the forest.

3 days will feel like playing in fast foward. I tried it just for testing it out again in FS19 and it is quite an immersion killer.

Briefly, what do you think about the decision to lock the season length to 3 days in FS22? Would you rather have it configurable as it is right now in FS19?
For now GIANTS are going to implement a game speed slower than 1x to allow you to slow the gameplay down with Seasons. (I've been told 0.5x and 0.3x speeds will be possible) So potentially this means each game day could last 72 RL hours.

The reason they haven't made it a switchable length is a lot of the games features including Seasons, crop planner, economy and the new productions system all work together on a set time. From what they have said you could have it changeable but it has the potential to mess up people's savegames, much like with Seasons now if you alter the Season length.

With it being on console and those players not being able to fix a savegame issue it was decided to make it the way they have announced, so as to limit people having issues.

However given the majority of feedback was negative on it only being 3 days, it seems likely there will be some improvement in this area later down the line. Whether that is via an expanded Seasons addon or base game we will have to see.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
NotoriousWeber

Post by NotoriousWeber »

I couldn't agree more.

I was very disheartened to see that 3 days was the only option. I'm not looking forward to the prospect of playing at 1X speed while I do all the work and then fast forwarding when I'm done with my tasks. It takes a lot of the realism out of it for me. I'd rather play with time at a constant 5x speed and deal with the consequences.

If the 3 day seasons sticks, I will likely stick with FS19 until it changes, or (fingers crossed) Realismus releases their version of seasons for FS22. I'm not one to complain, but it's a total game breaker for me to be locked into 3 day seasons.
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

The trouble with the "run slow on three day seasons" is that you lose the rhythm of the working day, and end up doing your entire harvest in one day -- and hopefully not at the mercy of one day's weather or that could go horribly wrong.

From the comments I saw, that as BB says above, changing the season length would mess up the save game, I'd say a good interim solution would be to make the seasons length a setup option, set once when the savegame is started, in the same was as choosing the startup mode in FS19.

Without that, I'd be in the same camp as NotoriousWeber, and stick with FS19.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
vovovo

Post by vovovo »

i also play 9 days seasons 5x speed. for me, it just feels weird to seed all my fields in one day, make my hay, silage in one day, harvest my fields in one day. Ofcourse i don't spend every minut working, depends on the weather, sometimes all i do in one day, is feed my cows, and then fast forward to next day, and then maybe again, only thing i do in that day is feed my cows. But that's how it is in real life, if it's to wet you just can't go to work on the fields.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

vovovo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:31 pm i also play 9 days seasons 5x speed. for me, it just feels weird to seed all my fields in one day, make my hay, silage in one day, harvest my fields in one day. Ofcourse i don't spend every minut working, depends on the weather, sometimes all i do in one day, is feed my cows, and then fast forward to next day, and then maybe again, only thing i do in that day is feed my cows. But that's how it is in real life, if it's to wet you just can't go to work on the fields.
... but you always have to feed the stock! That's exactly how I play, and what I'd miss if all our "virtual days" were crammed into one.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Frag

Post by Frag »

If they are afraid to screw up the save file, a good compromise would be to let us set the number of days per season while starting a new career ... THAN keep it locked that way. So if you set 9 days when starting a new campaing, then you are locked to 9 days within this game.
NotoriousWeber

Post by NotoriousWeber »

Frag wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:41 pm If they are afraid to screw up the save file, a good compromise would be to let us set the number of days per season while starting a new career ... THAN keep it locked that way. So if you set 9 days when starting a new campaing, then you are locked to 9 days within this game.
IMO, if "breaking the savegame" is their issue... this is a fantastic solution. I'm unclear why Realismus' seasons mod allows you to change it any time you want, and Giants can't do it in a base game version. I'm sure it has something to do with coding that's way above my head...but this sure seems like something they should have seen coming a mile away.
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

If the three day seasons ends up being a permanent thing then it will spoil the game entirely for me which is a shame as I have been pleasantly surprised by what I have seen of the rest of what's been previewed.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

norfolk farmer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:01 pm If the three day seasons ends up being a permanent thing then it will spoil the game entirely for me which is a shame as I have been pleasantly surprised by what I have seen of the rest of what's been previewed.
Exactly this. It would be a deal breaker for me. I can't play anymore without seasons, and I like to play with at least 9 day. I'm not sure how they didn't foresee this being an issue for a lot of people. Why wouldn't they at least go with the Realismus "default" of 9 day seasons if they were only going to offer one option?

I saw mention of them adding a lower timescale to "fix" the issue. That would not be the same at all. I use 5x, and already have no interest in 1x. I definitely wouldn't go even lower. I think most people prefer to feel like time is passing. Maybe enjoy working into the evening multiple times, or getting up as the sun comes up to take care of animals.

It is encouraging to know they are looking into adding options. It would be a shame to have to pass on this game, as it has shown a lot to be excited about. But if 3 day seasons is all you can do, I would stick with 19.
PS4