FS22 - Baling Only

saironc

FS22 - Baling Only

Post by saironc »

I am trying to determine if it is possible to just bale if using a combination baler/wrapper. I don't see an option for that. Is there any way to just buy a combo. baler/wrapper and occasionally only bale grass if I want?

Also, what if I bale hay or straw? Will it output hay/straw?

Please let me know if there is a specific model that can do this. Note I only play mods from ModHub. Thanks.
Ritchie

Re: FS22 - Baling Only

Post by Ritchie »

Certainly baling straw and hay with them the bales just bypass the wrapper. I'm not aware of it being possibly to just bale grass, it's not something you would do in real life as it completely defeats the purpose of having the baler/wrapper combination in the first place. Grass bales are always wrapped to make silage, they don't keep otherwise.
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

If you just want bales, get a baler without the wrap function, and get a separate wrapping machine.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

A bale of grass is a weird intermediate thing which in real life is worthless in about 12 hours because it will just rot and be toxic to a cow. Its a shame FS22 doesn't have any mechanism for grass or other perishable things going off. I've not got a combination one (I sussed that for grass, you need to "go big or go home" and use a big square baler and the £54k wrapper (I tried the other one but weirdly it didn't work for me).
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

I think if you set it to max size, it will be too big to wrap. I can’t remember which machine I was using when that happened.
There’s no place like utopia.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

NDDan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:55 am I think if you set it to max size, it will be too big to wrap. I can’t remember which machine I was using when that happened.
Correct, the Pottinger 185 is a combo baler/wrapper, supporting bale sizes 125, 150, and 180. 180s can't be wrapped by anything, except for the Anderson Sausage Press. So on the Pottinger, if you set the bale size to 180 and pickup grass, it will not wrap. I know all to wheel because sometimes during sharp turns I accidently change bale size on my wheel, and I start to get 180cm grass bales instead of 150cm wrapped bales. I have a small shed full of them, waiting till I get animals to use them.
Tekjunkie28

Post by Tekjunkie28 »

paul_c wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 pm A bale of grass is a weird intermediate thing which in real life is worthless in about 12 hours because it will just rot and be toxic to a cow. Its a shame FS22 doesn't have any mechanism for grass or other perishable things going off. I've not got a combination one (I sussed that for grass, you need to "go big or go home" and use a big square baler and the £54k wrapper (I tried the other one but weirdly it didn't work for me).
The grass wouldnt be toxic to a cow. People wrap green sourghum all day long and it literally rots. People also bale semi wet hay for mushroom barns and such.