Truck testing on Rock Crawl

LittleWatt

Truck testing on Rock Crawl

Post by LittleWatt »

Took some base game trucks and mod trucks to the Hillclimb 1 with the 96k liter water tank.

The base game MAN and Mack trucks barely made the climb. Test over.

Maxed out TLX Phoenix with the Detroit engines. One had tracks, the other dual wheels. I did not test heavy haul version. I also tested the Roadrunner+ maxed out.

My observations were: the TLX trucks are incredibly unstable. Although the tracked version held a straight line better, it would spin out far too easily. The tracked version also had a higher top speed at the finish line at the top of the hill. It managed 19 mph versus the 16 mph the twin wheel version. The wheeled Phoenix was squirrelly all the way up the hill, drifting all over the lane. Although, the wheeled version didn’t spin out, it tipped over under hard cornering. (A standing or rolling start made no difference to top speed at finish.)

Comparatively, the Roadrunner + was amazing. Not only did it top the hill faster, barely, it was decidedly more stable in the lane and under hard turning, capable of going hard right or left at 40 mph without tipping or spinning out.

The TLX pickups were tested for stability with a 60 mph slalom, and low speed trailer pulling. Both the TLX 2022 and 2020 would tip up on two wheels, and completely go over with a trailer attached. The TLX 3500 series was far more stable, not tipping in the same tests.

Also ran a background test on My Cow Pasture (as I’m looking for a large barn for a beef ranch), and although it did take straw bedding, I could not get manure. Not a deal breaker, but more a head scratcher. Why allow straw bedding but not get manure? It’s possible that I simply can’t get the manure pit close enough.

I was just playing around but the tests will definitely allow me to start thinning my mod lists. The TLX Phoenix and pickups sound great, but I prefer overall performance instead aesthetics.
Lazarus99

Re: Truck testing on Rock Crawl

Post by Lazarus99 »

You were hauling almost 200,000lb of water which should be a struggle on a hill climb and definitely unstable on a hard turn lol
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

That’s part of the test. I’m not comparing to real life. It’s a game. But there’s a clear difference among the contestants.
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

Why are you hung up on the real life aspect? That's the second time this week you've told me that. I understand I'm the one that brought it up in the grass mowing comment, but that has zero aspect to what I commented here. A larger volume equals a greater mass causing more work needing simulated by the vehicles in game. The roadrunner is simulating 1800hp on the max configuration. Why wouldnt it perform better? Also the 3500 is representing a larger breed of pickup compared to half ton representations of the 2020/2022.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

The 1800hp only equaled 1 mph faster over 1500hp of the tracked truck. So, what’s that say. Not much. More than anything, the stability of each vehicle was a much larger factor. As for the pickups, the base game 2017, also a “half-ton” is much more stable. It just can’t do the things the outrageous hp pickups can.

As for reality, who cares what the water weight is supposed to simulate? So you did bring up “reality” again. All this was is a simple performance test up a hill with the heaviest trailer. It could’ve been 100k liters of silage for all I cared. And a hard turn at varying speeds to test stability because of things I had noticed when driving the new Volvo trucks and other base game trucks, and their handling versus the Phoenix. It’s what the map was designed for. To test things and toy around. An additional test was the snorkel on the pickups. It doesn’t allow you to drive under water. Not that I expected it to, but it was worth the try. I don’t care at all what it’s supposed to simulate, I only care how things perform within the confines of the game. I’ll probably drag 5 logs up those hills with different machines just to see how they go. I’m very curious about the electric RigiTrac. That thing is a beast if you can keep the nose down.
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

I'm sorry I commented. I'm getting chased out of someone's blogger post apparently...
Burekcina

Post by Burekcina »

So the test was to test if the vehicles behave strange when doing what they were not supposed to do?
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

I'm with Lazarus and Burekcina - none of this really makes sense.

The TLX was designed to be more realistic - of course it wouldn't work well in the things you're putting it through... No truck is going to pull a 200k litre trailer of water fast up a hill, or go corner at 40mph realistically. This test/review/blogger post doesn't really tell us anything other than the trucks behave in a strange way when you try to get them to do things they're not meant to do - which isn't a shock to anyone lol.
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Oh My God. Are you people saying the Rock Crawl testing map is only for realism? Down to the bloody knuckle realistic farming. And it’s NOT designed to do crazy unrealistic stuff? I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what Alien Jim released the map for. As a tool he uses to test the limits. Besides who hasn’t been in a diesel pickup where the engine revs to 4300 rpms. Nothing head scratching there. Don’t give me that realism filth.
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

That's not what we're saying, we're asking what you're actually trying to achieve. Currently your test tells nothing meaningful atm.
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage