Mulching and rolling

dan1108

Re: Mulching and rolling

Post by dan1108 »

Speaking of mulching, I wonder if the corn stalk stompers that JHHG modding are working on will actually mulch the ground. They apparently are going to change the texture. That would be a nice convenient way to get mulching at a cheaper cost, for a crop that normally is always near the bottom of profitability (of course not when doing corn silage, but that isn't done by a corn header with stompers).
CrazyPotato99

Post by CrazyPotato99 »

kahfs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:23 pm I would make a script setting these values:

g_currentMission.harvestRollerRatio = 0.025;
g_currentMission.harvestStubbleScaleRatio = 0.025;
g_currentMission.harvestWeedScaleRatio = 0.2;
g_currentMission.harvestLimeScaleRatio = 0.15;
g_currentMission.harvestPlowScaleRatio = 0.15;
g_currentMission.harvestSprayScaleRatio = 0.45;

Make sure that the numbers add up to ONE

It is my understanding that these numbers are weights toward the harvest yield bonus. So if you did not do any of these field work, the yield would be half of what you would get if you got a 100% yield bonus.

I have not changed any of these values in the FS22 version of RealLifeNumbers. Whether the individual weights are realistic or not, I don't know. But, it is a fact that intensive field work on small farms gives a higher yield per hectar than less intensive field work f. ex. with direct drilling/seeding. So if you play on a European map with very small fields, it makes sense to do the many different types of field work. And then it makes sense to get a high yield. If you play on an American map with very large fields, you should do what American farmers do, which as far as I have seen, is much less intensive. The smaller yield on American fields is compensated for by having much larger fields. But, I have seen both Millenium Farmer and the Larson farm pick stones, so do what local farmes do where you are situated.

All in all, I find that FS22 permits this differentiation in a very nice manner. If a new version of Precision Farming is coming out for FS22, I hope that the different soil types will have an influence on both mulching, stones, weed and so on.
if I could I would create this script. But from moding I only changed the parameters of the provinces in hearts of iron)). As I understand it can be changed in reallifenumbers?
CrazyPotato99

Post by CrazyPotato99 »

kahfs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:23 pm I would make a script setting these values:

It is my understanding that these numbers are weights toward the harvest yield bonus. So if you did not do any of these field work, the yield would be half of what you would get if you got a 100% yield bonus.

I have not changed any of these values in the FS22 version of RealLifeNumbers. Whether the individual weights are realistic or not, I don't know. But, it is a fact that intensive field work on small farms gives a higher yield per hectar than less intensive field work f. ex. with direct drilling/seeding. So if you play on a European map with very small fields, it makes sense to do the many different types of field work. And then it makes sense to get a high yield. If you play on an American map with very large fields, you should do what American farmers do, which as far as I have seen, is much less intensive. The smaller yield on American fields is compensated for by having much larger fields. But, I have seen both Millenium Farmer and the Larson farm pick stones, so do what local farmes do where you are situated.

All in all, I find that FS22 permits this differentiation in a very nice manner. If a new version of Precision Farming is coming out for FS22, I hope that the different soil types will have an influence on both mulching, stones, weed and so on.
I know I'm asking too much, but can you create this script for me?
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

CrazyPotato99 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:50 pm

I know I'm asking too much, but can you create this script for me?
I have included a script in RealLifeNumbers. I have just released a new version of RealLifeNumbers this weekend with seasonal scaling of animal parameters, so I will not release another version so soon after. But, if you download version 1.0.0.5 of FS22_RealLifeNumbers from www.modhoster.com and unzip it, you will see my private e-mail at the top of each script. Send me an e-mail and I will send you a modified version 1.0.0.5 of FS_RealLifeNumbers.

You don't have to use the other scripts if you don't want to. Just unzip the mod and open modDesc.xml in an editor. There are instructions inside on how to comment out scripts you do not want to use.

Rezip the folder and place it in your mod folder.

Here is the output to the log file.

--- RealNumbersHarvestBonusScaling.lua started ---

--- Relative contributions to harvest yield bonus ---

Roller bonus = 0.0250
Stuble cultivation bonus = 0.0250
Weeding bonus = 0.2000
Lime bonus = 0.1500
Plow bonus = 0.1500
Fertilizing bonus = 0.4500

--- These numbers must add up to 1.00 ---
--- The numbers are percentage of the base yield ---
--- The max yield including max yield bonus is two times the base yield ---

--- If the base yield is 5000 Liters/ha and your numbers are used, then

--- Rolling will add = 125 Liters/ha
--- Cultivating stuble will add = 125 Liters/ha
--- Weeding will add = 1000 Liters/ha
--- Spreding lime will add = 750 Liters/ha
--- Plowing will add = 750 Liters/ha
--- Fertilizing two times will add = 2250 Liters/ha

--- RealNumbersHarvestBonusScaling.lua finished ---
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

I know it's seems like a lot of work for a total of 5% but it adds up. I did a test on Haut Bayleron using fields 28 & 29, as this was the only map that seemed to have 2 fields exactly the same size. In one field I did everything but mulch and roll, on the other field I did all the steps to give me a 100% yield bonus. I used corn as the crop type and got lucky with the sale prices as the train sell price kept climbing and climbing till it reached $1700 per 1000L. Everywhere else was like 1000-1200 per 1000L. So naturally I went for the higher price and ended up with field 29 making $2050 more than field 28. That's not a huge difference but it adds up over time. I guess a similar question would be do you bother to bale and sell your straw from grain crops or not...???

Now in real life I don't think I've heard of too many farmers mulching their fields as this process of breaking down the residue, so nutrients can return to the soil, is taken care of by most modern tillage equipment. As for rolling it's still done, but not as often as it used to be, again as most modern seeders and drills are designed to compact the ground again after the drilling disks have grooved to soil to drop the seed in. The advancement in technology is why more and more farmers are turning to direct drills/seeders.

Oh just an after thought, I've watched a couple of "How Farms Work" videos where they mulch the corn stalks, then rake them so it can be turned into round bales as bedding for the cattle as they don't grow any crops that make straw.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

dan1108 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:14 pm Speaking of mulching, I wonder if the corn stalk stompers that JHHG modding are working on will actually mulch the ground. They apparently are going to change the texture. That would be a nice convenient way to get mulching at a cheaper cost, for a crop that normally is always near the bottom of profitability (of course not when doing corn silage, but that isn't done by a corn header with stompers).
It would certainly be an interesting feature and a time saver, but that's not what they do IRL. Stomper literally stomp or push the corn stalks down so they lay flat on the ground thus causing less wear and tear on the tires and/or tracks of the equipment that follows. They save a lot of money on tire replacement due to the reduced wear.
Ironically I notice that the John Deere 16 row corn head in the game has stalk stompers as part of the model, but like most thing Giants does it's just for show and they don't actually do anything. Since they bothered to put them on the model you would have thought they could have gone the extra 1/4 mile and made them functional.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

The way I see it, say your cultivation system has 5 passes; and 6 with rolling (let's assume mulching can be done with a front mounted implement the same width as the drill, so no extra passes). The question becomes, is 5% extra yield worth 20% extra time with those passes? If you have the time to spare, you could work 20% more fields for a 20% extra profit, or rolling for the 5% yield (minus costs).
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

paul_c wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:06 pm "let's assume mulching can be done with a front mounted implement the same width as the drill, so no extra passes"
that's a bad assumption to start the idea with, as front mulchers are VERY small, much smaller than only the smallest DDs. From looking at price analysis videos, it appears to be a wash. And remember that mulchers in game are very low powered compared to the much large HP demanding large DDs. The way I look at it, as seen from the other vast work Giants has done to bring balance to the game (much better than Anikin did with the force), Mulching pays for itself...but really not much extra profit. You can lose profit with mulching in fact, if you use a large tractor with too much HP - like pretty much all things mechanical, use the right tool for the job works out best. They did this so that people can mulch for the added realism, and if they do, they get paid for it - but if you don't do it, you certainly don't lose out.

Now would I mulch summer crops, when there are juicy fert contracts out there? Heck no. But, in the winter with only low paying tilling contracts (and the prices of those contracts may have increased in 1.2.0.0, can't be certain), I'd rather mulch my corn field.

Oh, and BTW, the yield gain is only 2.5%...they adjusted it from 5 to 2.5, because I guess 5 was OP :)
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

You can also mulch with disk harrows that offer wider options
Playing on PC and PS4
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

What? No, they don't. Maybe in real life, but they do not set a mulched state in the game.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

Hmm..I wouldn't be surprised if some modders out there are working on DD seeders and planters that roll as well. Or cultivators that roll - in FS19, there were a few with optional rolling baskets, which did NOTHING, and people just didn't use them and they ended up getting an awesome cultivator with very low HP requirements - now that worthless basket can be put to use in FS22.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

Thanks for this info *thumbsup*

Just curious, do you know how spraying herbicide effects yield? I read on Farming Academy pages that it reduces yield by "up to 15%". Another player has posted that there is evidence (from in-game testing) that the timing of spraying herbicide plays a role, e.g spraying herbicide at first stage (small weeds) will attract a 5% yield reduction, second stage a 10% reduction and will only be a full 15% reduction in yield if you spray when the weeds are large. Have you seen any code that reflects that?

Thanks also for converting your mod over to FS22, much appreciate your effort. Without it I would not be able to control the economy to anything like realistic levels.

I too have hopes that a new Precision Farming will bring more interetsing diversity to the land and how we farm. It would be great to see the inclusion of soil compaction meaning machine and implement choice would also play a role.
Last edited by GrimHuffer on Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

Drmattymd wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:40 am You can also mulch with disk harrows that offer wider options
I didn't know that was a possibility. Not that I don't belive you but do you have a source?
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

GrimHuffer wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:08 pm
Just curious, do you know how spraying herbicide effects yield? I read on Farming Academy pages that it reduces yield by "up to 15%". Another player has posted that there is evidence (from in-game testing) that the timing of spraying herbicide plays a role, e.g spraying herbicide at first stage (small weeds) will attract a 5% yield reduction, second stage a 10% reduction and will only be a full 15% reduction in yield if you spray when the weeds are large. Have you seen any code that reflects that?
I doubt parameters for those behaviors are in XML. However, I can confirm that when spraying Herb on a newly planted field, where weeds are in state of "growing" (and nothing shows up on HUD, I consider this a bug), that spraying will kill the weeds with 0% yield hit according to the field yield info display. And another player confirmed that you can use a mechanical weeder, to do the same thing at "stage 0" without the higher cost (albiet slower, and more tractor operating costs) of using Herbicide.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

dan1108 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:23 pm
paul_c wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:06 pm "let's assume mulching can be done with a front mounted implement the same width as the drill, so no extra passes"
that's a bad assumption to start the idea with, as front mulchers are VERY small, much smaller than only the smallest DDs.
You're right, I hadn't looked at the details of the available mulchers until recently. It looks like its not really possible to front mount (and save a pass), so there is inevitably another pass if you want to mulch. So, another pass for 2.5% yield bonus...