Mulching and rolling

dan1108

Re: Mulching and rolling

Post by dan1108 »

paul_c wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:02 pm
dan1108 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:23 pm
paul_c wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:06 pm "let's assume mulching can be done with a front mounted implement the same width as the drill, so no extra passes"
that's a bad assumption to start the idea with, as front mulchers are VERY small, much smaller than only the smallest DDs.
You're right, I hadn't looked at the details of the available mulchers until recently. It looks like its not really possible to front mount (and save a pass), so there is inevitably another pass if you want to mulch. So, another pass for 2.5% yield bonus...
And that pass isn't really worth it, due to the equipment, time, and repair costs. But its there and should pay for itself if you want the realism. Rolling may or may not be the same, waiting to hear from 1.2.0.0 rock damage testing videos. But I would say neither are worth it if it prevents you from having the time to plant, fert, or harvest that last field.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

At least with rolling, there is that 24-meter monster that saves some time on large fields. I've combined 30, 31 & 32 on Elmcreek and the thought of mulching that makes me want to play some other game instead. Even at 18km/h and with two tractors, doing that with a 5.8m implement is a nightmare - and probably doesn't make financial sense once worker wages are factored into the equation.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

GrimHuffer wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:08 pm
kahfs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:23 pm I would make a script setting these values:

g_currentMission.harvestRollerRatio = 0.025;
g_currentMission.harvestStubbleScaleRatio = 0.025;
g_currentMission.harvestWeedScaleRatio = 0.2;
g_currentMission.harvestLimeScaleRatio = 0.15;
g_currentMission.harvestPlowScaleRatio = 0.15;
g_currentMission.harvestSprayScaleRatio = 0.45;

Make sure that the numbers add up to ONE

It is my understanding that these numbers are weights toward the harvest yield bonus. So if you did not do any of these field work, the yield would be half of what you would get if you got a 100% yield bonus.

I have not changed any of these values in the FS22 version of RealLifeNumbers. Whether the individual weights are realistic or not, I don't know. But, it is a fact that intensive field work on small farms gives a higher yield per hectar than less intensive field work f. ex. with direct drilling/seeding. So if you play on a European map with very small fields, it makes sense to do the many different types of field work. And then it makes sense to get a high yield. If you play on an American map with very large fields, you should do what American farmers do, which as far as I have seen, is much less intensive. The smaller yield on American fields is compensated for by having much larger fields. But, I have seen both Millenium Farmer and the Larson farm pick stones, so do what local farmes do where you are situated.

All in all, I find that FS22 permits this differentiation in a very nice manner. If a new version of Precision Farming is coming out for FS22, I hope that the different soil types will have an influence on both mulching, stones, weed and so on.

Thanks for this info *thumbsup*

Just curious, do you know how spraying herbicide effects yield? I read on Farming Academy pages that it reduces yield by "up to 15%". Another player has posted that there is evidence (from in-game testing) that the timing of spraying herbicide plays a role, e.g spraying herbicide at first stage (small weeds) will attract a 5% yield reduction, second stage a 10% reduction and will only be a full 15% reduction in yield if you spray when the weeds are large. Have you seen any code that reflects that?

Thanks also for converting your mod over to FS22, much appreciate your effort. Without it I would not be able to control the economy to anything like realistic levels.

I too have hopes that a new Precision Farming will bring more interetsing diversity to the land and how we farm. It would be great to see the inclusion of soil compaction meaning machine and implement choice would also play a role.
The harvest bonus of spraying herbicide is controlled by the parameter g_currentMission.harvestWeedScaleRatio = 0.2;

With this value it gives a harvest bonus which is 20% of the base yield (the yield with zero bonus).

The total yield is the sum of the base yield and the earned harvest bonus. The max harvest bonus is equal to the base yield, so if all the field work is done, the total yield will be two times the base yield.

Example: A base yield of 5000 L/ha.
No herbicide is spread, so I loose 20% of 5000 L/ha = 1000 L/ha.
If I do all the other field work, the total yield will be 5000 L/ha (base) + 4000 L/ha (bonus) = 9000 L/ha.

I think I have seen some numbers somewhere, suggesting that the weed state may influence the penalty of not spraying herbicide. I just don't remember, where I saw it.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

dan1108 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:15 pm
Just curious, do you know how spraying herbicide effects yield? I read on Farming Academy pages that it reduces yield by "up to 15%". Another player has posted that there is evidence (from in-game testing) that the timing of spraying herbicide plays a role, e.g spraying herbicide at first stage (small weeds) will attract a 5% yield reduction, second stage a 10% reduction and will only be a full 15% reduction in yield if you spray when the weeds are large. Have you seen any code that reflects that?
I doubt parameters for those behaviors are in XML. However, I can confirm that when spraying Herb on a newly planted field, where weeds are in state of "growing" (and nothing shows up on HUD, I consider this a bug), that spraying will kill the weeds with 0% yield hit according to the field yield info display. And another player confirmed that you can use a mechanical weeder, to do the same thing at "stage 0" without the higher cost (albiet slower, and more tractor operating costs) of using Herbicide.
You're right, they're not, I've looked.

Yeah, mechanical weeders and other mechancial means can be done with no yield penalty but herbicide is the one that attracts the -15% penalty. Good to know that there is no drop in yield if you spray immediatly after sowing (when the weeds are in the growing phase). That makes sense because there is no crop to damage. Have you tried to spray 'growing' weeds once a crop has established? I wonder if there will be a yield penalty applied then once the seeds have sprouted.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

What's wrong with using the 5.6m mulcher with a 6m DD seeder? You'll miss some bits sure but it's costing very little if all else that was on the front of the tractor was a weight block.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

kahfs wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:29 pm
kahfs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:23 pm I would make a script setting these values:

It is my understanding that these numbers are weights toward the harvest yield bonus. So if you did not do any of these field work, the yield would be half of what you would get if you got a 100% yield bonus.

I have not changed any of these values in the FS22 version of RealLifeNumbers. Whether the individual weights are realistic or not, I don't know. But, it is a fact that intensive field work on small farms gives a higher yield per hectar than less intensive field work f. ex. with direct drilling/seeding. So if you play on a European map with very small fields, it makes sense to do the many different types of field work. And then it makes sense to get a high yield. If you play on an American map with very large fields, you should do what American farmers do, which as far as I have seen, is much less intensive. The smaller yield on American fields is compensated for by having much larger fields. But, I have seen both Millenium Farmer and the Larson farm pick stones, so do what local farmes do where you are situated.

All in all, I find that FS22 permits this differentiation in a very nice manner. If a new version of Precision Farming is coming out for FS22, I hope that the different soil types will have an influence on both mulching, stones, weed and so on.

Thanks for this info *thumbsup*

Thanks also for converting your mod over to FS22, much appreciate your effort. Without it I would not be able to control the economy to anything like realistic levels.

I too have hopes that a new Precision Farming will bring more interetsing diversity to the land and how we farm. It would be great to see the inclusion of soil compaction meaning machine and implement choice would also play a role.
The harvest bonus of spraying herbicide is controlled by the parameter g_currentMission.harvestWeedScaleRatio = 0.2;

With this value it gives a harvest bonus which is 20% of the base yield (the yield with zero bonus).

The total yield is the sum of the base yield and the earned harvest bonus. The max harvest bonus is equal to the base yield, so if all the field work is done, the total yield will be two times the base yield.

Example: A base yield of 5000 L/ha.
No herbicide is spread, so I loose 20% of 5000 L/ha = 1000 L/ha.
If I do all the other field work, the total yield will be 5000 L/ha (base) + 4000 L/ha (bonus) = 9000 L/ha.

I think I have seen some numbers somewhere, suggesting that the weed state may influence the penalty of not spraying herbicide. I just don't remember, where I saw it.
Thanks for the explanation, this part is clear. However, there is a penatly of "up to 15%" from using herbicide. See here:

https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=293

I understand that weeds have a yield penalty but I was wondering how the penalty from applying herbicide is applied. For example:

You have a field full of weeds, so that would attract a -20% to yield. However, if you were to spray this same field with herbicide you would gain +20% yield from having a weed free field but loose -15% from spraying herbicide. So all that effort and money to get just +5% to the yield in the end.

I was curious to know if, from what others have said, if the penalty (-15%) from spraying herbicide was reduced in some circumstances or is it -15% always. Example:

If I have the same field above but I was quicker to deal with the weeds, they are only medium sized at the moment. I decide to use herbicide rather than the other mechanical means. Does my decision to spray mean I receive the full -15% to spraying herbicide or is this reduced (like some others have said elsewhere). Perhaps because they are only medium sized weeds I only get a -10% penalty, maybe small weeds get a -5% penalty.

A few people have said spraying straight after sowing does not attract a yield penatly which makes sense as there is no crop to damage.

Hope that makes sense.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

Pay attention to yield info when doing spraying contracts. They behave the same as a human player. Depending on the weed size, the penalty will be factored into the yield info, after spraying. 0 for weeds growing, 5 for small, 10 for medium, 15 for large. And 20 of course for leaving all weeds and not spraying. For mechanical weeding that misses some spots because of differential weed growth, those remaining medium and large weeds will have 10-15% penalty on those individual square meters of crop, not the entire field.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

dan1108 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:24 am Pay attention to yield info when doing spraying contracts. They behave the same as a human player. Depending on the weed size, the penalty will be factored into the yield info, after spraying. 0 for weeds growing, 5 for small, 10 for medium, 15 for large. And 20 of course for leaving all weeds and not spraying. For mechanical weeding that misses some spots because of differential weed growth, those remaining medium and large weeds will have 10-15% penalty on those individual square meters of crop, not the entire field.
Thanks for clarification. *thumbsup*
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

paul_c wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:06 pm "let's assume mulching can be done with a front mounted implement the same width as the drill, so no extra passes"
that's a bad assumption to start the idea with, as front mulchers are VERY small, much smaller than only the smallest DDs.
You're right, I hadn't looked at the details of the available mulchers until recently. It looks like its not really possible to front mount (and save a pass), so there is inevitably another pass if you want to mulch. So, another pass for 2.5% yield bonus...
You realise the red in game mulcher is designed to be front mounted? Can’t remember the make right now but it’s the one with the cage rollers that unfolds.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:51 pm
You realise the red in game mulcher is designed to be front mounted? Can’t remember the make right now but it’s the one with the cage rollers that unfolds.
I realize it now :) I didn't even think about it, as front mounted implements usually have higher HP requirements, so I assumed it was rear tow only. (I thought the 6m mulcher with 200HP was the front mulcher). The only use I can think of is to have a large heavy duty tractor use it on the front, with a slightly less narrow plow. Only the 4,9m plow can really be used. The big subsoilers are wider. However the 6m front mulcher would work nicely with the 6m plow or subsoiler. However, now you are talking 560-700 HP, and any tractor in that range doesn't have a front mounted 3 hitch.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

* The Knoche Speedmax 560 mulcher is 5.6m wide, (front) mounted (ie not towed) and needs 130hp. So its a maybe...
* The TJP610 mulcher is 6m wide and mounted too, but needs 200hp

So I think, because of the power requirement, it needs a step up in tractor size when front mounted to save a pass. For example the Terrasem C6F drill needs 210hp, so you're looking at a £270k tractor instead of a £200k tractor.

So given that mulching/rolling needs another pass, it comes down to the time available. I'm finding I'm time-limited now, so its a "maybe". The problem is, the decision to mulch or not has to be made early on (so good time planning needed). Rolling is easier to consider because you can choose to do it towards the end of the cultivating/planting process is there's time available at the end of the day/month.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

paul_c wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:08 pm * The Knoche Speedmax 560 mulcher is 5.6m wide, (front) mounted (ie not towed) and needs 130hp. So its a maybe...
* The TJP610 mulcher is 6m wide and mounted too, but needs 200hp

So I think, because of the power requirement, it needs a step up in tractor size when front mounted to save a pass. For example the Terrasem C6F drill needs 210hp, so you're looking at a £270k tractor instead of a £200k tractor.

So given that mulching/rolling needs another pass, it comes down to the time available. I'm finding I'm time-limited now, so its a "maybe". The problem is, the decision to mulch or not has to be made early on (so good time planning needed). Rolling is easier to consider because you can choose to do it towards the end of the cultivating/planting process is there's time available at the end of the day/month.
Ah, great point, didn't think about a 6m drill. Dreaming of the Bourgaults and JDs.. :) When those come out, I won't mulch, or if I do, it will be with a fleet of small tractors. Someone said in a youtube post I believe, that the mulching bonus as of 1.2.0.0 lasts for 3 harvests. You cant tell however until you've sowed, and then its too late. Would be an interesting test.
CrazyPotato99

Post by CrazyPotato99 »

Can you check gmail pls?
mrodgers

Post by mrodgers »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:21 pm Interesting. So it's only by scaling-up that you make money from the extra processes. But as Mack says above, you can't mulch a big field with a 4m machine.

I've never played on 'hard' difficulty. I should try it. Sounds like a good challenge. Did you enjoy doing it?
Not long ago I got FS19 and started playing with it (had dabbled back in 15 and 17.) I have always started on hard difficulty. I enjoy it because I like to slow play games. Everyone else it seems the goal is to finish the game or get to the point of uselessness because you have $billions$ in the bank as rapidly as possible. (My kids for example ran through and finished RDR2 several times while I was still in chapter 2.)

Show me a farmer who buys a farm and within the first several years even, they are able to buy 15 more fields and the best and largest equipment each year.

I am currently in the lower left corner farm with 4 small fields that I combined into 2 fields. I harvested 2 initially and planted Canola. I harvested a field of corn 2 game months later and planted oats and plowed the potatoes and planted oats because leasing equipment for potatoes wouldn't be covered by the income of selling said potatoes.

Now I do some contract work. I don't have money for a stone picker and leasing would be wasted money. I don't have money for fertilizer. I just do some contracts but eventually sleep until the fields can be harvested.

Government subsidies are real in real life farming so I put the more realistic municipal subsidy sign on the property.

I start my farm with buying the farm, a truck, and roleplayed that I had an old harvester (that old one of earlier FS versions was the best I could find of a small old and cheap harvester.) I then used the rest of my starting money to pay off the loan down to something reasonable and get rid of my money down to around $50k or so. If I can't do that paying the loan down, I'll edit so I have $50k and about $50-70k loan. That's where I start from.

It may take several years to make enough. Each year I can add something singular. Buy an old tractor (we need more used equipment, I don't like buying a brand new 1950's tractor) and trailer. Lease implements to do my cultivating and seeding. Eventually each year I set up chickens one year, a greenhouse the next. Buy another small field year 4, etc.

I start out with almost nothing and build up so that I can set multi-day seasons and increase the time speed so I have to cultivate over the course of several "days" and harvesting takes several "days" etc.