Point of hay?

Deereslayer

Re: Point of hay?

Post by Deereslayer »

In Wisconsin, many people make hay just because the land is low, its the only thing that they can grow and round baling it is the only efficient way to deal with it. Then they just stack the bales along a fence, never to be used again. Most times its poor quality feed and there is no market for it. But they have to do something with it because after all they are farmers and thats what farmers do. Makes no sense financially, but you see it alot around here.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I would bet you money they are using them, just at a slow rate. They wouldn't just waste resources just for the sake.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
chale8

Post by chale8 »

paul_c wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:55 pm True (to the OP). I have only found one use of hay:

1) Some balers have a built in wrapper. I've not sussed how to persuade the baler to only bale, not wrap too. So every 150cm bale of grass is wrapped, and in due course becomes a bale of silage once its fermented.
2) Sheep in FS22 only eat grass or hay; so its necessary to either produce bales of grass, or bales of hay. Since there is no way to make 'just' grass.....hay it is.
If you use a baler with built-in wrapper and change the bale size to 180cm the bale is too big for it to wrap so you get an unwrapped grass bale. Found this out when trying to get one baler that could do wrapped bales for silage and unwrapped for sheep food.
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Jimbob0704 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 pm Grass and hay both rot if left in the rain on Xbox, I’ve seen it shrink down before my eyes while trying to make bales in the rain
I think you are referring to Seasons in 19. Hay and straw rotted if left out in the rain. Grass rotted regardless to how it was stored. Loose grass or baled grass rotted unless it was stored in a silo. Then again you are probably right I have not seen it happen because I have never tried it myself. I know you get less crop when harvesting in the rain. The point of hay for me is its an ingredient in mixed ration which is the highest quality feed for cows which gives you 100% milk production!!
raran

Post by raran »

ScotsDude73 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:40 am
Jimbob0704 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 pm Grass and hay both rot if left in the rain on Xbox, I’ve seen it shrink down before my eyes while trying to make bales in the rain
I think you are referring to Seasons in 19. Hay and straw rotted if left out in the rain. Grass rotted regardless to how it was stored. Loose grass or baled grass rotted unless it was stored in a silo. Then again you are probably right I have not seen it happen because I have never tried it myself. I know you get less crop when harvesting in the rain. The point of hay for me is its an ingredient in mixed ration which is the highest quality feed for cows which gives you 100% milk production!!
I put 1 grass bale aside in my first cut of the savegame, sitting there for 4 years now. No degredation whatsoever.
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Yeah its totally unrealistic in my opinion. Thing is people will say well its just a game. Another thing I dont understand is in 17 and 19 we gave animals water. Have they suddenly turned into camels??? What time did Giant take to make a stupid decision like this. I thought the whole point of advancing/evolving the game was to add new features and keep them in for the next version of the game. If Giant want to honour the fans of the game remodel the animal pens and add a water trigger and fill level for each of the larger pens for sheep, pigs, cows and horses even chickens drink water. This should have been in the game on day one. This could be done in a update easily!!
Last edited by ScotsDude73 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

ScotsDude73 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:35 pm Have they suddenly turned into camels???
I think Giants just figured out that people paying 100-500k to have cowsheds etc built would get the water connected to the mains supply. You still need to supply water to the small pastures.
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Its not very realistic and I am sure lots of other players feel the same way as I do, but just haven't addressed the issue in the forum. Giants will say there is no issue because not many players have commented on it therefore it will remain as it is, which is stupid. Modders make custom pens that have water on their maps and yet Giant chose to do it without water in the base game. Not all modders, but some do. Another annoying thing is the base game water tank charges you for water and its not cheap either and yet if there is water on the map you can get it for free. Elmcreek there is a pond next to the store. It just doesn't make any sense. Seasons 19 you placed down a pump. Even the grazing mod should have been in FS22 in fact all the features of Seasons 19 should have been in FS22, but Giant had to strip the feature down to the bare bones!!
Illinois Farmer

ScotsDude73 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:57 pm Yeah its totally unrealistic in my opinion. Thing is people will say well its just a game. Another thing I dont understand is in 17 and 19 we gave animals water. Have they suddenly turned into camels??? What time did Giant take to make a stupid decision like this. I thought the whole point of advancing/evolving the game was to add new features and keep them in for the next version of the game. If Giant want to honour the fans of the game remodel the animal pens and add a water trigger and fill level for each of the larger pens for sheep, pigs, cows and horses even chickens drink water. This should have been in the game on day one. This could be done in a update easily!!
Actually it is more realistic to not bring water to animals pens. You need to relax with the name calling. I don't know a single person that transports water. The cows on pasture either gave a steam or access to another water source. 99% of the cows in yards or other animals in buildings have plumbing. This is the 21st century maybe it is time you join it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

The smaller pens need water brought to them, the larger pens are plumbed to the mains.
Illinois Farmer

You literally said this "did your mommies and daddies drop you on your heads as infants or maybe your mommies took many drugs while you were in the womb," but yes you didn't say a specific name. You got me there. Carry on with your inaccurate rant about things you have no idea what your talking about.
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Well if they are plumbed in there should be a valve you should turn to fill the water trough with water. Is the water invisible!!
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I actually prefer to not have to supply water. I always wondered why there was no plumbing so to speak. Now I would be expecting to supply water to open pastures.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Illinois Farmer

ScotsDude73 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:31 pm Well if they are plumbed in there should be a valve you should turn to fill the water trough with water. Is the water invisible!!
No you don't have to turn on valves. There is a float and it runs automatically.
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

17 and 19 we gave them water so I dont understand the change. Players like me yes its a big deal because I am used to how it was before. Modded maps have water for animals which is the way it should be imo and I am sticking to it!!